Health cover for temporary stays abroad

As an EU citizen, if you unexpectedly fall ill during your temporary stay abroad, you are entitled to any medical treatment that cannot wait until you get home. You have the same rights to health care as people insured in the country you are in.

You should always take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) while travelling abroad. This card is the physical proof that you are insured in an EU country and it will simplify payment and reimbursement procedures.

If you do not have a European Health Insurance Card, or you are not able to use it (for instance, for private health care), you cannot be refused treatment, but you may have to pay for it upfront and claim reimbursement once you get home.

If you need to go to a doctor or get hospital treatment during a trip to another EU country or while studying abroad, having your European Health Insurance Card with you will simplify administration and reimbursement for public health care.

The European Health Insurance Card is accepted only by doctors or hospitals affiliated to the statutory health care system - private health care is not covered! If you use private health care, you may be able to claim reimbursement when you get home – but you should check your rights first, as reimbursement rules can vary!

Information source - link:

For more information regarding the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) you can click here.